Thursday 29 December 2011

A walk down the memory lane

I set  forth to write my autobiography of the assignment that I had mentioned earlier. I thought I had a good start and wrote about two pages. This is when I noticed that a red light was blinking on my laptop. My laptop was going to shut down itself automatically as there was no charge in it.

The plug points were not working and there was nothing I could do. Cursing, I quickly saved my work and set out to find if anybody else was also facing the issue with the plug point. Within minutes I confirmed that everybody on our floor had this problem.

We quickly decided to go forth and tell our warden the issue. After all we did have a lot of work to complete. We set out only to suffer a set back. Our warden told us that since it was almost 10.00 in the night she was not going to call any electrician to the girls hostel. She said we had to wait till the next morn. We knew that there was absolutely no need for an electrician. All that was needed was that the switch that had tripped needed to be pushed back into its earlier position. But none of us had the courage to argue it out this time. Dejected we all trooped back to our rooms.

My attempt at the autobiography stopped there and then. I hadn't touched it after that. After many days of sitting on the work already done, I accepted the fact that I needed to complete. Many days of procrastination followed by this one day where I would complete my entire autobiography for my SAR.

I opened the file that I had worked earlier on and re-read what I had written. I stared at it for more than an hour trying to figure out how I should continue and whether the style in which I was writing was right. After a hour of absolutely no productivity, I decided to scrap my earlier work and start afresh.

Now I sit a few hours into the process. I find that the pace is agonizingly slow. Sometimes I spend time thinking of the past, whereas others I spend wondering how to pen it down. All in all the day till now has been a slow stroll along the memory lane.

"For good or for bad, for better or for worse..." as the words go, I started my journey and haven't yet completed half the way. I guess it will take time and I need to accept it. Probably these were memories meant to be re-looked at with a smile, a grin or even a twinkle in the eye.

So despite hammering away more than half of my morning and discovering that I still have a long way to go, I continue. After all, isn't it the story of my life? The story of my life - it would be the diary that I haven't kept, those diaries that I had disposed of - all in a concise form for me to look at whenever I would feel like.

So now off again to another session of hammering as I pen down the next phase of memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment