Saturday 3 December 2011

Setting out for the data...

I set out for my data collection trying to act as though confidence was oozing through every pore of mine. Slightly nervous I set out from the hostel at the time that I had decided to leave.

I gathered up courage and decided that the day was going to be mine and I was going to conquer it. I met a batch mate who offered me a ride to the nearest bus stop from where I had to start my journey.

Standing there and waiting for the bus to come, it seemed like the longest time ever. But even then the time was pleasant as I received calls from the bestest of my buddies asking me not to go alone. These great friends of mine were trying to get somebody to accompany me as they didn't want me to go alone. Great friends aren't they?

Well...anyway...I reassured them that it was okay and that they did not have to cut class and come for me. That I would call them as soon as I wanted any help or was in any difficulty. Having persuaded them and having got down at the first bus stop, I proceeded to catch an auto to the first branch office I needed to go.

After what seemed to be ages in the auto, the auto fellow and I couldn't still see the branch that we were supposed to go to. Finally after going up and down twice, I called up the branch office to find out where exactly the location of this branch was.

And that is when thunder and lighting struck. It seemed that they address the regional office had given me was wrong and the location of the branch was only 5 minutes walk away from the place that I had alighted the auto. Feeling peeved by this time, I reached the branch and found myself waiting for the managers meeting to get over so that I could start distributing my questionnaires.

I met the manager and gave my questionnaires and was out of the office. I started walking back to the bus stop trying to get my bearings right. And then I realized that even though things didn't exactly go the way I had planned the only thing that I had lost was a bit of time. I charged right ahead.

And in that enthusiasm I went on to the nest branch in my list and soon moved on to third branch  in my list.  As I was going to the third branch Saji had called me up and he offered to pick me up and take me back to college.

I was exhausted with only the 3 branches covered and since it was a getting late and I welcomed the thought of returning. And soon I ran into Saji and covered the 3rd branch with him and we set back to college just in time for class.

And so with 3 down on my list and 5 more to go, I am waiting for Monday when I can finish the list of those branches that I couldn't visit on that day along with the revisiting of all the branches to collect the filled inn questionnaires.

My exploratory, though begun in an exasperating way ended well and I am looking forward to the rest of my data collection

No comments:

Post a Comment