Sunday 10 March 2013

The summer we came to life...

I started with this book unsure of whether I was gong to read the entire book or discard it after a few pages. The name of the book hadn't appealed to me and neither had the cover. But since it was already on my kindle I decided to give it a try.

The first few pages were a difficult read. I wasn't really able to make up my mind, did I want to complete it or let it go. The book hadn't called out to me yet. After all it stated out with Samantha in such a horrid state over Mina's death. Her initial doubts, her overwhelming grief and guilt at being alive just didn't sit right with me. But now I am running ahead too soon. Suffice it to say that, my initial doubts were wrong. I went on to finish the book eager to know how the future panned out and how the past made the characters what they are...

"The Summer We Came to Life" has been written by Deborah Cloyed and is her debut novel. The book revolves around the close friendship between four friends - Samantha, Mina, Isabel and Kendra. Though these four are very close a pattern emerges that Sama and Mina are closely knit just as Isabel and Kendra. But these friends have borne it all together and are inseparable until cancer robs them of Mina. A death of a close one leaves everyone lost and everything feels wrong. But the most hit seems Samantha who is unable to come out of her shell of grief. But Isabel and Kendra and the assorted set of parents decide not to allow Sam to wallow in her misery. The trio and the parents set out on the annual vacation...

This vacation brings the past to the present where each begins the journey to understand each other better. And within this all this is Sam's never ending search in science, physics and realism where she tries to and almost succeeds in bringing Mina back.

The book isn't a easy read. It makes us think on many levels. Towards the second half, I wasn't really sure if appreciated the sudden twist the story took, though anything is possible as one really does not know much of life after death. Regardless of that, the moving narratives by the parents, the characters, the ending and the second chance are good. And as all good stories end, it reminds us, life does go on...


So if you haven't tried out the book, don't be skeptical, and if you have put it down as I intended to, I recommend you try reading a bit further till you get hooked.

So wishing you a happy reading, Adieu!!!


1 comment:

  1. Lovely review, Deepti! I, for one, am going to give this book a try!

    ReplyDelete