Thursday 14 June 2012

Revamping the Kindle Cover

I set out to stitch a Kindle cover for my brother. The objective being to make a cover for him and also to put down the pattern in writing. I asked Rohit to choose three colors since I was planning on replicating the earlier pattern. He went on to choose three colors - Yellow, Blue and Green.

I wasn't too sure on how the colors would play out with each other. I started off with the yellow, stitching the inner lining.

Inner Lining - In Yellow

Once this was done I was in a dilemma. I wanted to use the colors differently from last time. The last time, I alternated between two shades of green and it looked like stripes.

My earlier project page - Ravelry
My blog-post on the project - Blog description

This time I wanted to do gingham checks but the thought of cutting and joining the different shades was giving the shudders. I told my mom my plan of making gingham checks and the amount of cutting and joining that would be required.

That is when she told me about an invite she received from a group in Ravelry. It was a Crochet-Along potholder and she suggested I too join her. This pattern was of Gingham checks but without any repeated cutting and joining. This pattern really intrigued me and I wanted to get started.

I decided to make this in the size of the Kindle's outer cover. So I used the original potholder pattern for a part of the outer cover. It was an exhilarating experience with me learning something new. I loved how the colors played out with each other and the entire effect of the checks. For the rest of the outer cover, I used a basic stitch.

The new pattern - Trying it out for the kindle cover

The basic pattern in 3 colors 
The complete outer section with the flap

Once the outer portion was done, I attached this to the inner yellow piece and also stitched the flap. The next step was to do stitch the inner blue piece and then attach it.

With the inner portion to hold the Kindle in place
And...VOILA...the new kindle cover was done.

The completed cover - Close the flap and carry conveniently
And so my Kindle cover was complete.  The pattern and the colors have really worked out well. And all I can say is that I am thrilled!!!

2 comments:

  1. Unboxed a new kindle. Now I know what would complete it.. HINT HINT ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dats a pretty broad hint!!! :D But got it...:)

    ReplyDelete