Sunday 10 June 2012

Facebook in Denial...

A few weeks ago there was an article in the newspaper about addiction to Facebook. The article gave a list of symptoms which proved that one was indeed addicted to this social network. As I read through this, I wondered if I was an Facebook addict. As  I read through the symptoms list, I scoffed.  I did not have any of these symptoms and I was perfectly normal, thank you very much for asking.

Last week, I had a really long day where things seemed to be piling up on each other. It was as though I had no control over what was happening and I was getting more and more frustrated by the minute. In a silly fit of sullen, I deleted my Facebook profile and with a sniff I headed towards my bed. 

The first day after this incident, I had things to keep me busy as I reached back from work. The second day,  was tempted to check FB at least through my mom's profile. By yesterday,  suddenly realized that I wasn't getting to know what was happening to my friends'.  I was missing their statuses and comments. But I ignored the voice in my head and carried on resolutely. Instead I tried to find out what was happening by asking people over phone or even through Gmail and Gtalk. 

I had been wanting to blog for a few days and I sat down today for the same. As I finished my previous post,  suddenly realized that I couldn't post it on FB as I usually do. In a jiffy, I went and re-actvated my account and posted my blog.

With four days of respite from Facebook, I have understood that I am not addicted to it but being in the loop and being connected to others through this is important to me. It is nice to chat with friends and be connected with all of them. And also it's good being able to post there links and my blog whenever I want to. So next time I deactivate my account, it is definitely going to take more than a fit of sullen for me to do so.


1 comment:

  1. If one is truly addicted, one would just stay on FB doing nothing but scrolling up and down. :-)

    ReplyDelete