Tuesday 30 June 2015

Gone Girl

This book was my introduction to the world and writing of Gillian Flynn, an American writer.

I has been hearing a lot of hype over the movie and wanted to catch it TV. That's when someone told me that it was based on a book and then I found myself wanting to read the book rather than watch the movie.

I managed to get my hands on the book and found myself turning the pages...Here's my two cents on 'Gone Girl'.

A thriller novel that starts slow and then suddenly plunges you into a world of uncertainty, confusion and lots of suspense.  The novel's is based on the main character, Nick Dunne, his missing wife Amy Dunne, and their rocky marriage.

The first half of the novel is narrated in the first person by both Nick and Amy. We have Nick's thoughts and perspectives from the present and glimpse Amy's thoughts through her journal entries. While Nick discovers that Amy is missing and find things strewn over, he worries and contacts the police never suspecting that he would become the main suspect.

The first half of the novel just slides through presenting to the reader two different views. While Nicks thoughts showcase Amy to be sullen, anti-social and stubborn, her own journal entries show her to be happy, friendly and a adjusting person.

While the police hunt out clues to try and trace Amy, all roads and clues point to Nick. The fact that Nick starts his business from Amy's money, the fact that he increased her insurance, and his tactless behavior in front of the media makes him the easy target.

Just as you nod to yourself and begin to say, 'Okay, he definitely did or did not kill her...' that you find the story going on a different tangent.

The second half of the book reveals to the reader many lies and nuggets of information that throws a totally different picture. To say more would probably be a spoiler for my readers…

So all I can say is...The second half leaves you with a kind of incredulity and amazement in terms of how people can turn out to be, how weird relationships can become and the unexpected ending of the book.

'Gone Girl' is not just any thriller, it is a psychological thriller that grips you by the throat and keeps you on the toes while you keep guessing on how it ends.

When the book ended, the first thought on my mind was 'You can't be kidding! It's over...What???'.
Though I was hurrying and rushing through to finish the book and know the ending, I was almost disappointed when it finished.

So go read the book if you haven't read it already and get thrilled….

No comments:

Post a Comment