Saturday 21 April 2012

She Walks in Beauty: A Women's Journey

I came across this book. The title seemed intriguing and I turned the pages. It was a book with a collection of poems.  I don't make it a point to read many poems, though there are a few that catch my attention and rivet me to the spot while I savor the beauty of the words.

As I flipped through the pages of the book, I realized that the author had actually compiled poems of different poets and segregated them in categories. The write up on the categories and the poems put in seemed exquisite. After going through a few poems, I have decided to slow down and and savor the poems and share those that I really enjoy.

To start off, and to end this post, is one poem that I came across in this book. As I read this poem, I realized that I had come across this years ago and it was something that had stuck to my mind. This a poem by Christopher Marlowe who was considered the foremost Elizabethian tragedian. A dramatist and poet, he has a few plays and poetry to his name. The poem I read,

From Hero and Leander,


It lies not in our power to love or hate,

For will in us is over-rul'd by fate.
When two are stript, long ere the course begin,
We wish that one should lose, the other win;
And one especially do we affect
Of two gold ingots, like in each respect:
The reason no man knows, let it suffice,
What we behold is censur'd by our eyes.
Where both deliberate, the love is slight:
Who ever lov'd, that lov'd not at first sight?

I understand, this is but an excerpt of the entire poem. If such beautiful lines are just a part of the entire poem, then how would it be in its entirety. Shakespeare too has used the same lines in his play As You Like It Looking forward to a days spent reading the poem and Shakespeare's plays in entirety...and also to rest of the poems from this wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment