Thursday 19 January 2012

Words and relations..

It's a glorious day without much work to be done. I lay on my bed languorously wondering whether or not I needed to get up. The stillness in the room, the quiet sounds of stirring outside and the bright sunlight spurred me into action.

Suffused with an unusual amount of energy, I sat on my bed contemplating on what I should do. A list popped into my head. There was quite a lot to be done but I would be content to do it on my own time and at my own pace. I needed to set things into order.

My room needed straightening, I decided. Pulling and pushing things, this way and the other, I finally gave up trying to find a better lay out to the things in my room. Things were best were they lay and did not need any changing. My need to put something into order was not satisfied and I decided to plunge right into the huge assortment of book, "college books" that needed to be sorted.

A pile here  and a pile there, things to be taken home and things to be discarded, things that I could reuse and it so went on. As I put each pile away in the place I deemed fit, my eyes fell on a folder that I hadn't sorted yet. I immediately recognized it. I needed time to look into the folder.

I looked around. Satisfied that every thing was neat and tidy, I settled down comfortably and opened it.

It was my treasure trove. My treasure of words. Being lost in books and stories, it did not seem strange to be fascinated by different cards and letters. My treasure trove consisted of all the cards and the letters that friends that given me and written to me over the years.

I took them all out, cradled them in my arms, reading and re-reading the wonderful lines on each of those. I could not help but smile as I recalled my various friends and the closeness that we had developed.

As I reached for the last card in the bundle, I realized with a pang that it had been long, way too long and that the words were being forgotten. Relationships built around so many things, cemented by time together all were expressed in those cards. With the passing of time, it wasn't too easy to keep in touch with each and every individual that lighted up my life.

The words that I hold dear, those words in each of these cards, they embody the relationships that I hold dear. I do not want these words to fade. With a resolute smile, I decide, from now on, a word here and a word there, am not going to let the words or the relationships fade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment